Saturday, 6 December 2014

I look like a hag without the things in this bag

I once had a House of Holland make up bag which had the slogan "I look like a hag without the things in this bag" printed on it. Now, although I don't think that make up is needed to looking great there are many products that I use all the time that promote healthy skin and hair and make myself feel amazing. It is great to put the time and effort into getting ready and dressing up every once in a while! Here are some of my beauty essentials and favourites. They really work, I promise!


Lip lacquer shade 28, Dita Von Teese for Art Deco, Gift
Face contour kit in Medium, Sleek, £6.49 Available Here
CC illuminating foundation in Ivory, GOSH, £8.99 Available Here
B.B Cream in Medium, B., Was £10.99 Now £5.47 Available Here
Longer lengthening and defining mascara, B., Was £9.99 Now £4.99 Available Here
Kajal, Lancome, Gift (Not available in the UK) Similar Here
Dual action moisturiser, Clean & Clear,  £3.59 Available Here
High drama liquid eyeliner in Black, Seventeen, £3.99 Available Here
Coconut Oil, Superdrug, £2.29 Available Here 
Hair treatment, Argan Oil, 99p (from home bargains)
Micellar Water, Loreal, Was £4.99 Now £3.32 Available Here
Weekend eau de parfume 100ml, Burberry, Was £58 Now £22.99 Available Here
Coco Butter, Vaseline, £1.99 Available Here
Boar bristle and Nylon brush in White, Mason & Pearson, Gift Available Here
Crayon khol in Noir, Lancome, Gift Available Here
For years and years and years I had really short hairstyles from shaved to pixie cut but now that I have let my hair grow I have been seeking different ways to keep it healthy, shiny and frizz free. My hair is pretty thick and I have found that having an amazing hairbrush is an essential part to everyday life. I got given a Mason & Pearson hairbrush many years ago when I was too young to understand what an amazing present it is. I think my mum thought if my sisters and I had a good hairbrush we would be more likely to actually brush a hair! I had so many knots as a child! Even though it is an expensive brush it really is worth the price. It has lasted me years and the boar bristles mixed with the nylon automatically de-frizz the hair making it super soft and shiny without damaging or breaking the hair. I really couldn't live without it!

To help the hair stay in amazing, soft, shiny condition I use two things. Although I use normal shampoo and conditioners every once in a while I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner. This one from Superdrug looks a bit daunting as it comes in a big solid block like butter but after melting it down for a few seconds in the microwave I put a small amount on my hair and leave it overnight before washing. I honestly have never had hair so beautiful and shiny! At just over £2 a pot it is a cheap miracle find. It can also be used on the body as moisturiser which is great. If you don't have time to leave in the coconut oil overnight I highly recommend hair treatment Argan Oil. After washing hair like normal add a tiny amount (and I mean a tiny amount otherwise your hair will look greasy!) to towel dried hair and ta-dah! your hair will be amazing. You don't need to spend lots of money on expensive hair treatments, natural remedies are just as good, if not better, in my opinion.


The key to having a flawless face of make-up is to get the base of the face just right. I use Micellar Water twice a day to help keep my face healthy. It is honestly a god send! Not only does it remove make up and dirt (even when you think your face is clean!) it helps get rid of blemishes giving you perfect skin. The Loreal water is one of my favourite ever beauty buys and I really recommend it. Moisturising is the most important thing to do so finding one you love is essential. I fell in love with Clean & Clear dual action moisturiser a couple of years ago and have been using it twice a day ever since. It is a really light moisturiser which I like but it also helps get rid of spots and blemishes. I have really noticed my skin improve since I started using it.

I never wear foundation as I find it too thick and it gets in my pores giving me bad skin. Instead I use BB cream by B. which evens out my skin tone whilst also nourishing and protecting. I love it and couldn't live without it! It is also amazing as a primer before foundation. I didn't realise that B. is actually a top end superdrug own brand but because it is it's often on offer which makes the products irresistible. When I'm not working and actually have time for a social life and to go out I wear CC illuminating foundation by GOSH. Now, I think it's a bit deceiving for this product to call itself a foundation because it is actually really thin which is why I love it! For someone who doesn't want to feel like they are wearing makeup it is perfect. Combined with my BB cream it makes my skin look like it has been photoshopped whilst also helping to look after it. Finally, I love highlighting my bone structure and making it look 10 times better by contouring my face with Sleek face contour kit. It is so quick and easy and really does finish off the face amazingly, I can't believe how well it works. 

Face contour kit in Medium, Sleek, £6.49
Recently I was catching a train home from London Euston and had forgotten to put any perfume on. I nipped into boots and sprayed the first perfume I could find on. I remember thinking "This Burberry perfume is in a bit of a boring bottle and doesn't smell very nice." However, later on the train when the perfume had sunk in and I had forgotten about it I got a whiff of it and thought it was one of the nicest perfumes I had ever smelt. I went back to London a couple of months later and found the perfume at the same station and much to my surprise it was on sale for an absolutely amazing price! It is now my absolute favourite perfume and my boyfriend loves it. It is sweet but not sickly and slightly fruity. It really is a perfume that will turn heads! Go and buy it!


I absolutely love eyeliner! It would be the one beauty product I would choose to have if I was stuck on a desert island. I have tried all sorts of different kind from gels to pens to pencils to liquid and have found a classic liquid and khol pencil are the best. I use a liquid eyeliner by Seventeen which is a boots own brand. It is cheap, non complicated and does the job well. I also use a Khol pencil by Lancome which I often get as a present for christmas. Although it is a more expensive pencil, it is really good. It doesn't smudge too much and lasts for a long time. However, whenever I want to create the perfect smokey eye look I use Kajal by Lancome. I had never heard of it before but my Auntie bought it back from her travels. I think it is only available in Asia but it definitely should be released here! Good alternatives are available though. I only use a tiny amount as it smudges like crazy but it is amazing for blending with eyeshadows and other liners to create the perfect smokey eyed look. To finish off my eyes I use Longer lenghtening and defining mascara by B. which really could pass for a designer, top brand mascara. It lasts for days and doesn't clump which is exactly what a mascara should do. It's often on offer too like most of the B. cosmetics so keep your eyes peeled for a bargain!

Kajal, Lancome, Gift (Not available in the UK)

Longer lengthening and defining mascara, B., Was £9.99 Now £4.99
To get the perfect lips a good lip balm is crucial. I use Vaseline with coco butter. I have a top tip for you all too. If you have really dry skin on your lips put some of the Vaseline on you lips and scrub it off gently using your toothbrush. You will have super soft lips in no time. Red lips are my favourite. They are classy and timeless. I got given the most wonderful red lip lacquer for my 21st Birthday from my mum. It was part of the limited edition gold vintage range and it is perfect. It has a really shine to it and last a really long time.
It is definitely the sort of lip gloss to wear to parties or to really stand out from the crowd. The box and case are beautiful too and it made such a special present for my birthday.

Lip lacquer shade 28, Dita Von Teese for Art Deco
I love making the effort to put Make up on and the routine is something that is just as enjoyable as the end results. I think it's important to look after ourselves and feel our best and these items in this post definitely do that! I'm always on the look out for beauty buys and tips so let me know if you have any. What are your favourite beauty products?

9 comments:

  1. I usually coat my hair in conditioner overnight as a treatment but I love the idea of using coconut oil (a few people have recommended it but I was never sure what to do with it). Also, I'm gutted that Lancôme Kajal isn't available in the UK - it looks amazing! Great post, thanks for sharing :) xx

    Viva Epernay | Benefit Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are welcome! You have to try coconut oil. It is amazing and so cheap. Just melt it down and you are good to go :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - I LOVE this post title. My favourite product is absolutely the Vaseline lipbalm. Everytime I'm in the UK I stock up, I so wish they were sold in Canada! x E

    Elizabeth Victoria Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Can you not get Vaseline in Canada?! I never knew that! It is an essential, everyday item over here. xx

      Delete
  4. He he I have a bag like that, love argan oil for hair, and I would love to try the illuminating foundation!!!
    Thank you for stopping by! xoxo
    http://stylesensemoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome :) Thank you too! The foundation is great, I could not recommend it more. xx

      Delete
  5. I tried the Clean and Clear mosturizer, works really well! nice post <3
    http://thisblogbelongstosabi.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I look forward to reading what you have to say and I will reply as soon as possible!



blogger template by lovebird